The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > More things Poker > Beats and Brags
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-04, 01:59 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points
Default From my NL cash game last night...

Last hand of the night (because it broke up the game):

5 players. I am the $10 BB. Guy to my left raises to $35. Next player reraises to $80. Button smooth calls the $80. SB reraised $300 more. I throw away my hand. Guy to my left thinks for a minute and shows me the JJ he is folding. I told him that was an easy laydown and at least he got off cheap. First reraiser also folds (he had AQ suited). This is where it gets interesting..... the button goes into the tank and thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks. He's the guy who runs the game, btw - he was stuck for about $1000 at the time. The $300 raiser says after the first 5 or 10 seconds of thinking, "If you're thinking this long, I've got you in bad shape." Obviously, he is saying he has Ks, right? Sure, he could be lying, but there's plenty of money in the pot already and I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to win what's there. I believe him. I would have bet anything he had KK.

Finally, the button calls. Flop comes K22, and I'm sure he flopped a boat. Sure enough, he comes out betting $300. The button goes into the tank again and now I'm understanding why he's down $1000 tonight (well, $1400 and counting now). Then, and I couldn't even believe my eyes, the button pushes ALL IN (for a lot of money)! The SB says "Call - I have the nuts" and turns over his KK. The button says "No you don't." As he is turning his cards over, my gut reaction is he must have been slowplaying AA preflop, praying he wasn't up against KK on the flop, and now he still has 2 outs. WRONG! He turns over Pocket 2s. That's right, POCKET 2s! Quadzilla...

At the time, I thought this was without a doubt, one of the worst calls (the $300 preflop one) in a NL game that I have I have seen in my life. The dealer (not the guy on the button - we use an actual dealer) laughs and laughs and starts calling him a monkey. The rest of us, and especially the SB who just lost $1200ish after flopping Ks full, was in complete shock. The Pocket 2s guy tries to justify the call by saying he really thought the $300 raiser was stealing, but come on! If that's the case, make a move at the pot right there. But to CALL? Unless you flop your set, what are you going to do? No matter what flops, you're going to be looking at overcards! He later said he was going to push in on the flop no matter what, which I guess is somewhat reasonable, but that was still a terrible call.

The turn and river cards were blanks. I would have LOVED to have seen a K hit the board. Oh, and btw - the guy with the AQ would have turned his flush, so he saved himself some money there...

Moral of the story: Online poker must be rigged! How else can you explain seeing a hand like this in a live game???

-----
Edit: Fixed typo.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker

Last edited by Talking Poker; 11-06-04 at 02:59 AM.