The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-04, 12:37 AM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points
Default NL Tourney vs NL cash game

Continued from another thread....
Hey TP, could you expand on this (maybe in another thread)? I hear this all the time "I do well in tourneys BUT I get killed in NL cash games". I am there. I feel like when I sit in NL cash games all the things I am used to seeing in tourneys just don't apply.

I started typing a thread about it but, I don't really have any specific examples of what was different (it is just a feeling that it is "different"), so it is hard to know what question to ask.

As someone who has already made the tranistion from this dilemma to being successful at NL cash games, could you expand on the differences that helped you?

PS- congrats on the big hand, I would have mucked that 57 in a second, but I apparently am also blind to Doyle's genius .
Thanks
Old 12-27-04, 05:33 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i think that the biggest difference between tourneys and side games is that in a side game you shouldnt be worrying about getting busted. in a tourney, that is it, you are done, so the all-in has a more powerful role. in a cash game, you can just rebuy and sit right back down at the table.

the best example of this comes in coinflip situations. if you have an edge in a cash game, then you should take it every time. in a tournament, you might not want to risk your entire tournament on a 5% edge. in the long run you will come out significantly ahead in these situations, but because you can very easily go bust in a tournament here, it is a much more difficult decision.

having a big stack in a cash game is also not nearly as important as it is in tournaments. in tourneys you can bully more because of the risk of going home without any money, but in a cash game the decisions will be based more on the cards rather than the risk of busting.
Closed Thread