The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-05, 08:19 PM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points
Default GeoffM

I'm in the 8:20 Omaha 8 MTT at UB, stop by if you can.
Are you playing? Whats your screen name there if so.
It's the $10+1
Old 03-23-05, 08:49 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Damnit, sorry, I was clearing my Party bonus and didn't see this. LOL, everytime you post, I'm never on.

Edited to add: How did you make out?

I should be game Sunday evening, probably into the wee hours of the morning if you're going to be playing.

Also, for the less experienced, UB has a great $5 + .50 MTT every Saturday which starts at 11. To make the final table usually takes about 3 hours in a field of about 160 players.
Old 03-23-05, 09:27 AM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

Didn't cash, ran into a hand I really don't know how to play in Omaha, had KKA2 in a limit game and the flop was KT7 rainbow, I flop top set and bet then get raised, re-raise till it gets capped after the flop, at this point I am ahead but there are two possible straight draws out there, 3 on the turn gives me hope to scoop as I still have the best possible hand and best low draw, again it gets capped and the river brings and Ace which I just check and call, obviously he made his straight and tells me what a horrible play I made. I didn't argue becaue maybe with all those possible straight draws I should have just called it the whole way since a set is not that strong in Omaha. My holdem instincts took over and I thought I shouldn't let him draw cheaply, maybe in Omaha thats a mistake since everybody draws all the time. Same basic scenario busted me when I was short stacked 7 or 8 hands later, got all my chips in with JJA2 and flop of J73, got a 4 on the turn for the nut low until a 2 on the river made a wheel for someone and I was out. Probably overplayed my sets, live and learn, though I don't think I went out with garbage either.
Old 03-23-05, 09:40 AM
sports betting guy

omahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsomahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I would of easily capped since you were holding the nuts to the river. On the turn with the nut low draw as well, I would of been capping all the way. I would of played this hand aggressive because in a tournament you dont get that many scooping opportunities so I would of been all over this.
Old 03-23-05, 09:44 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Actually, it sounds as though I would have played the same exact way. He had less outs than you for his straight after the turn. Anytime you flop top set, you gotta make sure as many chips as possible go in. If he had QJ, he had 4 aces and 4 10s. But if the board paired, you would have taken down a huge pot. Of course, he may have had the wrap (AQJ, or even AQJ9 or just QJ9), but you still have to put in chips because you are indeed ahead. One thing about a O8B MTT, same as hold'em, you have to be able to win a coin flip hand, and the coin was in your favour since your hand was already made.

You also had A2 for the nut low draw. However, in this care you actually want the board to pair. You didn't do anything wrong this hand. You had 6 outs after the flop and 9 after the turn, just got really unlucky.
Old 03-23-05, 10:02 AM
<<<<<

Flopping the best hand in Omaha is a two edged sword, there are just SO many draws out there that is hard to play. Can't tell you how many times I flop the nut straight with two to a flush on the board and someone chasing the low makes a 6 high flush as well.
Old 03-23-05, 11:02 AM
sports betting guy

omahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsomahilo has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

thats the beauty of the game... you could flop the nuts and be a underdog in the hand.
Old 03-23-05, 11:31 AM
Captain Charisma!

But you still have have to make them pay to ge their draw. Like I said, you have a made hand, he doesn't. You can still improve, he is hoping to catch a straight.
Old 03-23-05, 02:32 PM
<<<<<

Putting the last two replies together brings up to an interesting point about Omaha. First we see we can flop the nuts and still be a dog, second we agree (at least I thought I did) that you must make someone pay for thier draw. Well, you never let someone draw for free, but you also shouldn't be betting/raising as an underdog in a hand either? <confusion sets in>