The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > Off Topic > Sports
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-04, 05:01 PM
oscar the grouch

junYUN has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default NBA season is here!

list your top 5, then list who you root for.

1. spurs
2. pistons
3. timberwolves
4. lakers
5. rockets

i'm a lakers fan (flame away)
Old 11-03-04, 05:33 PM
WA's most wanted

2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points2Tone has between 1500 and 1999 Rep Points
Default I (still) love this game

Even though it has gone down hill since its glory days. My picks

1. timberwolves
2. mavericks
3. pistons
4. rockets
5. pacers

Rooting for the Sonics is an exercise in futility this year, but they are my team. Most hated: The Knicks.
Old 11-03-04, 06:45 PM
Maniac

Tuff Luck has less than 10 Rep Points

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I have to root for my sixers. And for what's on everyone's mind, how do you think the Lakers are going to do without shaq, and how do you think he's going to do this season? (new team and everything)
Old 11-03-04, 09:14 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i think that shaq will be motivated, and have a monster season. with him playing in the east, he shouldnt have any competition at all. he should dominate.

1. timberwolves
2. spurs
3. pistons
4. kings
5. dallas

rooting interests: timberwolves, celtics.

right now the nba is brutal. it is rare fo ran american player to have a well rounded skill set, and that really makes the game boring.
Old 11-04-04, 05:17 PM
oscar the grouch

shaq is going to have a great season, kobe is going to have an epic season (numbers wise). the lakers have a good run and gun team, but as the jazz showed us last night all you need is a little swarm defense and the lakers are toast. miami makes the #2 seed in the east while the lakers MAYBE make the playoffs at 7 or 8.

spurs win championship.
Old 11-05-04, 08:12 AM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Top 5 for me is:

1- Detroit
2- Spurs
3- Heat
4- T-Wolves
5- Mavs

Kings don't make it, since Chris Webber is healthy .

The reason I put Miami up there is because they are in the weakest division of all-time, and will likely reach the 60 win plateau this year, along with home court in at least the first 2 rounds.

I cheer for the Raptors, but Vince is a wussy.

I also think the Lakers will make the playoffs, because even thouugh they lost Shaq, looko what the got for him. When Vlade is good to play they'll be fine and sneak into the playoffs, then lookout.
Old 11-06-04, 04:04 PM
oscar the grouch

resting the collective laker playoff hopes on the return of vlade divac is a bit of a stretch don't you think
Old 11-06-04, 05:14 PM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

Stupid ****ing Pistons, you can win a championship but you can't beat Toronto, way to mail it in guys!
Old 11-06-04, 05:16 PM
oscar the grouch

i think the pistons are highly overated, last year they won because the lakers didn't show up basically. the pistons are a poor man's spurs (great defense, team oriented, lots of hustle) and the lakers ran off four straight on them. it just goes to show if you cruise into the NBA finals like you're gonna run the table you will lose.
Old 11-06-04, 06:07 PM
Maniac

jimmytheg has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

no way the pistons are overrated....two legitamate go-to guys in crunch time with billups and hamilton....the best collection of big men on any team, east or west conference.....good team defense (a larry brown staple), and on that same note good coaching.....they are also a deep team, which comes in very handy during the long regular season.

I think it will be a pistons-spurs finals...and i think the pistons will win it again
Old 11-06-04, 07:51 PM
oscar the grouch

billups is a go-to guy in crunch time? please. the pistons will get beat pretty badly by the spurs if they went heads up in the finals
Old 11-07-04, 10:29 AM
Maniac

dont you remember the pistons-nets playoff series last year? billups won two games in crunch time, once hitting a near half court 3....
Old 11-07-04, 04:10 PM
Captain Charisma!

GeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsGeoffM has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

Hey guys, guess what?

Remember the Raptors, suppose to finish last in the east, well we're now 3-0. Gotta love the T.O. .
Old 11-07-04, 07:04 PM
oscar the grouch

raptors won't keep this up...vinsanity will get hurt mid season and they'll tank. you can almost write it down right now..it happens nearly every season.

oh and i'm sorry i didn't realize two crunch time shots make you clutch. (one of them a lucky half court heave)
Old 11-08-04, 10:43 AM
Maniac

over the last couple years the raptors have played better without carter....i think it was last year or the year before when they ran off like 14 straight wins at the end of the season without vince. He's a primadonna who just sucks...and i love chris bosh...hes a monster
Old 11-08-04, 10:45 AM
Maniac

considering it was the biggest series of his life at that point, i think they are considered clutch....in fact, im not sure what else qualifies as clutch
Old 11-08-04, 11:09 AM
Captain Charisma!

That big streak the Raptors had gone one was 3 years ago, actually, when Carter first ran into his real problems with injuries. The last 2 years have been washes, one bad season led to Bosh, and Bosh's first season the Raptors were a bad team. We have improved in several areas, most notably a more reliable and less injury-prone point guard (Reefer Alston), as well as Bosh moving to PF, his natural position, and putting on a few pounds. Like I said, he is a poor man's KG, which is a very good thing to be considered as, considering KG is God on the court. Rose is going to have to step it up this year and be an all-star, and Carter will have to stay healthy. Weak in the middle but Loren Woods has played mediocre so far, and if they can get mediocre play from the middle they will make the playoffs.

They also have Marshall coming off the bench, a versatile big man with range. I'm also happy they are giving Lamond Murray some minutes, this guy was buried on the bench last season and Sam Mitchell has done a good job getting him some minutes. He could be the wild card in the Raptors season, as their bench is nothing to brag about after Marshall and hopefully he can step it up. Watching the Portland game yesterday, the Raptors need a rebounder still, Dennis Rodman perhaps .

Last edited by GeoffM; 11-08-04 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-08-04, 12:12 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i think that the pistons are a good team, but they would not have beat the spurs last year, and they probably would have lost to the t-wolves as well. they happened to be in the right place at the right time, with the right opponent, to win the title.

i dont want to disrespect them at all, but they are essentially a very good defensive team, with just enough offense to get the job done. ben wallace is a great player, but he needs to improve his offensive game in order to be considered a great player. tim duncan and kg are just as dominant defensive players, and they also have tremendous offensive games as well.
Old 11-08-04, 01:02 PM
Captain Charisma!

Not quite. Wallace is bar none, the best defensive player in the game, IMO
Old 11-08-04, 06:45 PM
oscar the grouch

i think wallace is overated definsively, most of his "defensive player of the year" titles hinged on his defensive rebound numbers. tim duncan is a GREAT defender, he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. garnett i think could be a better defender than he is (although he's still a good one), but he doesn't block as many shots as he should with that height and those arms.
Old 11-09-04, 08:26 AM
Captain Charisma!

Ben Wallace was 2nd in the league in blocked shots last year, 3rd in defensive rebounds. Duncan was 2nd in defensive rebounds and 3rd in blocks (but Wallace averaged about a half a block more per game). Wallace also played for a team with better rebounding overall, so he definately is deserving of the edge. Wallace was also 7th in the league in steals per game, for a CENTRE. Duncan is nowhere near the top of that list, so I don't think numbers lie. People merely say Wallace can't play D because he can't play O as well.
Old 11-09-04, 04:06 PM
oscar the grouch

i never said he couldn't play D, i simply said that he is not the best defender in the game. he has A LOT of good defenders on that team, so he gets a little help from them (see: billups/rip leaving the only passage to the hoop right through big ben, rasheed waiting on one side to block a shot -- big ben on another)
Old 11-10-04, 05:55 PM
Maniac

[quote=GeoffM]That big streak the Raptors had gone one was 3 years ago, actually, when Carter first ran into his real problems with injuries.

I meant in 2003, when vince was injured at the end of the year and the won like 13 straight to sneak in the playoffs
Old 11-10-04, 06:22 PM
Donkey

Chutups has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

I don't think he's overrated at all, He's a great one on one defender and he's an even better team defender. His defensive player of the year awards not only hinged on his defensive rebound numbers, but he is always on top of the league in blocked shots yes he's only around 6'7.
Old 11-11-04, 07:56 AM
Captain Charisma!

WOW, anyone watch the Raptor game last night? Very impressive, coming back from 6 down in the late 3rd quarter to win. Maybe they are for real this year, maybe they'll win the playoffs.

Despite not liking Vince a heck of a lot, I would love to see what he could do in an entire season. I think he could very well come in the top 10 in scoring, and would love to see a highlight reel dunk every game like we use to see out of him.

Crazy, coming off a shelling at the hands of the Kings, they would win the next night on the road.