The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-04, 11:01 PM
Donkey

humpty99 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default Am I the only person...

who would rather play against good players. Everyone always says that they found this huge fish, and that this site or that is full of fish. I hate fish. Yes, its probably true that I would take them to the cleaners in the long run; however, I play on a limited basis (work and family take a huge chunk of my time), and it seems that every time I get involved with a so called fish that it is their lucky day. I have had much more success against good players, and I can't stand playing in games where everyone just calls the blinds and 7 of 9 see the flop. As soon as I stopped playing the very low limit junk, I became a winning player (thanks in part to a nice size win in a live tourney). Everyone wants fish, fish, fish, but I like the competition and more controlled style of play. Seems like I'm the only one. Am I?
Old 11-29-04, 11:04 PM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default hey

I agree and disagree in cash game tables i want the solid players but in tornaments I want the fish so I can push them around. Always want 1 or 2 fish even in a cash game though because they will pay you off!
Old 11-29-04, 11:44 PM
Sir Waffles House of Fun

SirFWALGMan has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default Mix

I want a mix I guess. I do not want the whole table calling my AK raises with A5o, because someone will hit. I do want people calling to the river with 2nd best pair. Good players do not do this. I do want people going for there gut shot straight draws. I want enough good players where I can induce folds with my weaker raising hands like 99,TT, etc..
Old 11-29-04, 11:47 PM
oscar the grouch

junYUN has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

definatly want a mix of them, but i want medium-strong players to play against. in a tourny i'll take all fish and sit back and watch them knock each other out, and take down big pots with my monster hands.
Old 11-29-04, 11:50 PM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i prefer to have a mix

i dont know why you guys would want to have so many fish in a tourny so badly... look at all the pros that get screwed over by the fish in the wsop... its not because some new player takes them to school, its because these people call with gutshots and ace draws and hit them every once in a while, and that 1 time the pro goes broke.

-jB
Old 11-29-04, 11:54 PM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default hey

alot of the pro's went broke because they thought they where so much better then the internet guys and tried to outplay them with so-so hands. Not saying all the internet guys where great but they made it there by beating a large field to get there and they deserved to sit there as much as the pro's!!!! Now for the scrubs that never play poker but had a extra 10k sitting in between the couch cushions they didnt deserve it.
Old 11-30-04, 01:54 AM
Donkey

Chutups has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

I also prefer to have a mix, it would suck to play against all pro's, but maybe that's becuase I'm not that great.
Old 11-30-04, 02:32 AM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

it wasnt just pros overplaying their hands against inexperienced players... the newbies screwed the pros more than the pros screwed themselves.... remember how that one jackass kept betting into sam farha onto to catch a pair at the end and practically break sammy's tourney? and that other jerkoff that raised helmouth 5k with queen high and hit a queen on the turn? shit like that happened thousands of times every day of the wsop, mostly to pros who get their money in with the best hand and get screwed on the river. you rarely see a pro coming from behind to win a hand for all their chips, because they know to avoid situations like that
Old 11-30-04, 02:40 AM
Banned

Talking What?!?!?!

your crazy dont you remember chris furgeson hitting runner king that saved him against pocket aces?!?! the pros had just as many lucky breaks as the amatures did now by no way am I saying the amatures are as good as the pro's but come on. And the amatures where trying to bluff the pot when they raised with nothing they just wernt good at it like betting 1/10 of the pot he even said at the end of hand he was trying to and Sammy told him something like his tells gave him away which he couldnt do nothing about it was like his 1st live tornament. The amatures that made it in obviously know how to play or wouldnt of won there invitation and dont tell me it was luck because you cant be all luck to win a satalite. Sure you won some races but no one wins with all luck even the pros agree with that. Only thing the pro's had against them is they had alot more peopler in pots where they where because everyone wants to beat a pro. And as for screwing over man its poker your gonna have bad beats it happens you learn to live with it and go onto the next hand all pros have learned that except for Phil Hellmuth of course because as phil says if there wernt luck involved he would win every one
Old 11-30-04, 03:04 AM
Fish

saminex@yahoo.com has less than 10 Rep Points
Default fishes

dude i hate fishes too, but logically fishes donate the most money. Just make them pay them to see every card and dont try to trap them and they should be ripe for the taking.
Old 11-30-04, 03:42 AM
Maniac

Gutzz has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

Yeah I really don't like playing with a table full of fish. But I LOVE playing with 2 or 3 uber fish.

They create action and often distract the few stronger players on the table. Also they tend to lose their money, which isn't so bad .

Cheers,

Gutzz
Old 11-30-04, 04:14 AM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

What does everyone think is the best % of players on flop. Logically you want the highest, but maybe just slightly above 50%? I have played alot at Pacific, and you can find tables that have just about any % you want. So in stricly limit games, what would be optimal for a tight/aggressive player??
Old 11-30-04, 12:06 PM
Donkey

Baseballa19 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

I would like a mix, as well. I do understand, though, that the odds are you will eventually take money from the fish because they play badly. You just can't get caught up in their games and start playing junk.
Old 11-30-04, 12:46 PM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

I agree that a mix of players is ideal. If you have 7-9 fish at the table seeing the flop when you have AK (for example), even if you hit an A or a K there are so many hands out there that two pair/set is LIKELY. So it is hard to bet out, get 4-5 calls and then bet out again on the turn, and have any confidence that you are ahead in the hand. Against mostly solid players you are essentially carving up the fishes chips between you.

As they said in Rounders....
"we weren't really playing together, but we weren't playing against eachother either."

or something like that. The predictability of the solid players leaves the best hand vs the fish (or two) holding second best hands most of the time. This is a good situation IMO. Too many fish tend to leave even the best hands in a vulnerable situation unless you improve.
Old 11-30-04, 12:51 PM
Donkey

That's true. It is really cool, though, to get a MONSTER hand at a table full of fish. They pay off nicely.
Old 11-30-04, 12:57 PM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

Yep, it seems that they are so used to playing bad hands that whenn you raise pre-flop and AAK comes on the flop the just can't comprehend that someone might have AK. These are some of the biggest pots I have seen.

3-4 calling down with j6, q8 hoping to catch runner runner for the straight, or 45 suited drawing dead to a low flush. Funny stuff.
Old 11-30-04, 11:28 PM
Maniac

Gutzz has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

I like flop percentage between 37-50, anything more and it... can be a little crazy. But if you're tight, then you'll push the average down a little.

I don't mind tables with flop percentage 30-37, but anything below that is just torture for me.

Cheers,

Gutzz
Old 12-01-04, 11:57 AM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

Those % sound about right. 50% is great IMO. 80% is just nuts.
Old 12-01-04, 11:59 AM
Donkey

80%? WOW! That would be a maniacs table, wouldn't it?? Every table has a couple people who play EVERY hand. I can imagine a larger portion of the table doing it.
Old 12-01-04, 12:23 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

this question really made me think of the last time i was at foxwoods.

at the two different tables that i sat at, there were just completely different styles. at the first, it was the most loose passive table i have ever been at. i was the only person who would consistently raise preflop, and there were usually 8 people in every pot preflop. the next table i was at had one absolute maniac, so most pots were capped preflop. this still left 5 people in, on average, but it was much more difficult to play against this player.

clearly these two tables were profitable, but i had to play them in very different ways. i think that it is almost more important to match up the style of your play with the others at the table, than it is to constantly be trolling for fish. i deally i want a mix of abilities at the table, but i would rather avoid the maniacs and play with the loose passives all day long.
Closed Thread