The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-04, 09:54 PM
Rock

hackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default Improving my play

I have been working on improving my ability to read people, and stay on top of whats going on. Probably the biggest detriment to my play is not focusing on the game that I am playing. I'm not really concerned with multitabling or BB/hr, just improving my game.

Lately I have been using notecards for each player I play with, and i have been playing .01/.02 limit holdem on pokerchamps because I will not deposit. I konw that playing this low limit can be bad for my play, but I want to see if I can beat it. Surprisingly, a lot of the same players are on all the times, so I have actually been making use out of my reads.

Hopefully eventually i can remember all these players in my head, and as time goes on be able to do it faster and make these notes automatically.

Is this a good strategy? What would other people do to try and brush up?

Note to Self - Play ABC Poker.
Old 12-01-04, 09:58 PM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

no, its not. you should play at 1/2 if you want to improve your game, because 0.5/1 and lower is just a bunch of people calling and raising with any 2 cards... you wont learn anything. if you want to improve, bite the bullet and buyin 50 bucks and start playing 1/2 (assuming you already understand the game to an extent).

i found lee jones' winning low limit holdem book online, you'd learn more from it than you would ever learn from playing anything below 3/6... tell me if you want it ill put it on my site

-jB
Old 12-01-04, 10:03 PM
Rock

hackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointshackers238 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

I don't know, I disagree. I think that if I can adapt to the different situations which are often present in these lower limit games it will make me a better player all. The faster and smoother i can switch gears hand to hand based on who is in will make me a better player. In a higher limit game, most people play very similarly.

Note to Self - Play ABC Poker.
Closed Thread