The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-06, 08:43 AM
Poker? Yeah, three times a night!

GTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsGTDawg has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points
Default Cash games VS Tourny

I didn't want to hijack Zy's thread...but his post got me thinking about my time spent in cash games vs time spent in tourneys. Prepare for back story.

I deposited $75 in Party early last year and built it up to close to 200 and slowly lost it over a month's time or so. Terrible bank roll management, horrid play, etc etc.

After a little reading and some more confidence in my live play, I ventured to Stars with $50 in mid-January. Reading this site, along with a few books, I'm over $500 and can see a steady increase in my bankroll built from consistent play.

David (lightfungus) got me playing the low-level turbo SNGs early after I lost 30 of it right off the bat trying to play .10/.25 cash games.

I played the $3 single tables, then moved up to the $6 tables, then played in a few 45-person $6 SNGs and won/2nd there for a while and kept moving up.

I usually stick to the $11 multitable SNGs and just recently I've started playing the $15 two-table w/ success. I feel comfortable, even with some of the random play and I feel I'm getting a good return on my play over the past two months.

However, I just cannot get the feel for the online cash games. I really wanted to start playing in the .25/.50 NL when the bankroll was there, but I just always feel uncomfortable sitting down at the tables. I dunno what it is, but I build up early (double up or so) and then slowly lose the all of it over the rest of the session.

My question:

Where can I expand my play to continue moving up? Do I suck it up and force myself to get better at the cash games, results be damned for a little bit and make myself better. Or, can I continue on whatever path this is providing me and just keep moving up.

I figure my bankroll is approaching the point where I need to start playing in the $20 buy-in stuff (playing in $11 SNGs can only last so long) and I figured I'd start expanding the fields I play in too (i.e. the Stars 180).

I'm wondering about MTT too. I've played in a few giant fields and made it past the bubble in each...but still well away from any final tables.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Yeah, you make kings run in to them.
Old 03-30-06, 11:35 AM
Banned

eejit101 has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointseejit101 has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointseejit101 has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

ive been having a real shittty time at cash tables recently. So i started multitabling sit and gos. The play is so different, its hard to compare the 2.

Anyways, was $600 up at party from 2 tabling the $25 Turbos, and $11 multi SnGs, so not too bad. If it keeps going i wont play cash games. Im getting such a good ROI at sit and gos i dont need to at the moment.
Closed Thread