The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > Off Topic > Sports
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-08, 01:57 PM
Doesn't 2011 start the next decade?

Robbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsRobbie Robb has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points
Default Screwing the bookies???

Okay, I had this thought the other day. Let me know what's wrong with it (cuz I *KNOW* I gotta be missing something here).

Now please keep in mind that my limit of sports betting is....umm...limitied. Let's use the Superbowl today as my example.

So after the AFC/NFC championship games the favourite (Pats right?) declare that one of their Star players is out with a non-game related injury (twisted ankle playing volleyball or some stupid shit). It would have to be a big enough injury/big enough star to seriously skew the odds in the other team's favour. Prior to the big game there's media coverage (ahhh..bless those paparazzi) showing the player hobbling with a walking cast and crutches and the odds continue to tip in the Giants' favour. So now we get to game day and all of a sudden....TA DA! Star player is in fine form. Of course by this time it's too late for the bookies who have taken the bets at staggeringly different odds than what will instantly become.

Would this not result in the bookies taking a HUGE loss (assuming the Pats did go on to dominate and win)? Now obviously there would still need to be a huge amount bet on the Pats. But hey, the players have friends and family right???

On a semi-related note - would this be considered cheating - artificially inflating the Giants' sense of where they are in relation to the Pats? Here they are thinking "Yes! We have a GREAT chance of winning this now! We're gonna win!" and then all of a sudden it becomes "We're gonna wi...WTF??? Oh shit." Would the NFL take a dim view on this?