The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-05, 10:49 AM
Donkey

420Smurf has between -10 and 0 Rep Points
Default Playing suited and non suited run cards

First I will start off by saying I am a new player and am starting this for some advice or suggestions, heck just to see what people think. Here is the deal, I try not to play 4,5 7,8 9,10 even, un-suited, but I tend to get myself in more trouble than not when they are suited I can't seem to lay off, any suggestions on playing these types of hands. 4,5 suited etc. Thanks for your time and help
Old 11-30-05, 10:55 AM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default hey

your missing alot of info here, where are you seated compared to the button when you run them? what are the blinds? has it been raised before you? how many have limped in before you? is this limit or NL?

general rule I follow is to run suited connectors 9sTs, 4D5d or something like that I need at least a couple people in pot before me. You need to make money with these hands to make up for the times you totally miss. You also have to be able to get away from them even if you hit a small piece of the flop.

Say you have 4d5d and flop comes down A59 1 diamond, are you able to lay it down? from the sound of your post im guessing your not laying it down when you miss totally. Also by the sound of your post your not taking into concideration your position at all. These suited connectors or A-x suited have to be played in later position. It would really suck to limp in with in UTG then have it raised and re-raised. Then you are looking at calling 2 bets with a marginal hand against only 2 opponnents. Not a good spot to be in and you just wasted 1 bet when you HAVE to fold.

as for playing them unsuited I usaully never do unless Im in blinds or have position and its folded to me. Thats just what i do.
Old 11-30-05, 10:58 AM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

Well, is there a particular situation (position, stack size, cash game, tourney, etc, etc) that you get in trouble with more than others?

In general, I would play the suited connectors in position with a few limpers already in at a table where there isn't a lot of raises from the players still to act after you. You want to get in cheap and try to hit a big flop. If you don't get a good piece of it (hitting a pair with 45s is NOT getting a good piece of it) then it is easy to get away from.

http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/blog.php?u=64
Old 11-30-05, 11:01 AM
Donkey

I guess I was a bit to broad on what i need help with but you have gave me good feedback that helps a great deal. (Thanks) I can lay off if i see them cheap and have say 4,5 diamonds and only get one, I guess my main problem is getting involved in hands like that after the pot has been bet(before the flop) , sometimes big and I want to see the hand so badly. I mean say there is a big raise and i have suited connectors I tend to stick around and strike out more than not.
Old 11-30-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

BrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep PointsBrianSwa has between 100 and 249 Rep Points
Default hey

If you only have one limper before you and say you are 1 off the button I would probolly call because that gives the 3 to act after you good odds to call. But like BB said if you dont hit a monster on the flop or a really really good draw you have to let it go.
Old 11-30-05, 11:15 AM
Donkey

Default Thanks all

Thanks you 2 , and more that respond to this in the future, some points you have brought up I have to think I will incorporate the next time i get in this situation, Hopefully I can help my game a bit from this. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-05, 11:20 AM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

In PL/NL you probably would not want to get involved with one of these hands if it has already been raised as that likely means there will be fewer players in the hand to pay you off. However, say it was raised 3x the BB and two people called before it got to you, then you could call and hope to hit a flop (unless there are players you KNOW are going to raise it after you based on past play).

Also in a tournament, you would want to be more careful with hands like this (even with a few people in) especially if you are low on chips. If you have a lot of chips, you would be more likely to take a shot with one of these hands hoping to break the smaller stacks.

http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/blog.php?u=64

Last edited by BlibbityBlabbity; 11-30-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 02:05 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I love those little suited connectors - in NL only. In limit, throw them away every single time. Also, in a tourney, you can only play them when you can afford to (when your stack is much latger than the blinds).

With that said, I do not recommend that new players play those hands, because they often require good post flop play, which new players do not have. Stick to the top 10 hands first (20 max).

It takes a lot of experience befor you can learn to play any two cards well... learn the basics first.

Oh, and I am also a strong believer that people should learn limit before NL. They are very different games, yes, but you learn a lot of hugely important fundamental concepts in limit that I think are necessary to be successful in NL.

GL.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Old 11-30-05, 02:13 PM
Shark

jaeh00d has between 100 and 249 Rep Pointsjaeh00d has between 100 and 249 Rep Points

I am a very good NL player but I lack skill in limit poker. I do not know what it is but in limit poker i rarely have much success. Same as cash game, i do not have much success in them, only tournament play.

But to get back to it a lot of player like to raise with suited connectors when the play NL tonarrow down the field and play heads up or maybe three way. But a lot of pros will say that those types of hands are best when there are many people in the pot.

Its really not what anyone else can tell you. Or even what any pro says, athough yes they do have the knowledge its basically how you feel best playing and how you have the most success. You gotta know when youre beat and be able to lay the hand down. Trimming your losses is a very bg part of poker learn it and you will find success.

Find your own bes playing style an learn to perfect it.
Old 11-30-05, 02:36 PM
Donkey

Default Helps alot

Hey guys that really helps a bunch thanks, just wanted some feedback to help me out , maybe see how others approach the sittuation , this is a verry respectable and helpful forum. Thanks for making this possible. I will have to try playing some Limit, kinda jumped right into no limit. But I do have a desire to become a good poker player so am going to play a limit game or 2 and see what happens. Thanks again you all are great
Closed Thread