The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-05, 01:19 PM
Shark

johnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsjohnp158 has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default Why do you play poker?

This is something I think about a lot. I've gotten really into this whole poker thing for the last year and a half. Watch it on tv all the time, play a lot online (.5/1 NL right now), and have made a few grand. The thing is, I really don't have any desire for the actual money. I will admit that I've cashed out a couple of times to pay for things that came up, and I bought myself an ipod. That's really the only thing I've bought that I might not have done anyway. Besides being able to make a post-Katrina donation.

So I don't know. I've never been a gambler. That lifestyle doesn't really suit me. I'm fortunate to be financially well-off because of my parents (I'm a student and they still support me). I try to be consciencious about my spending habits and lifestyle. I'm not studying to try to get into some profession that's necessarily going to make me a lot of money. So sometimes I have a hard time figuring out why I'm so into poker. Because I certainly want to keep building my bankroll and moving up limits. Hopefully cash in some big tournaments at some point. It's just strange because I don't see money as my real goal here.

Anybody else ever think about this stuff?