The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-04, 08:00 PM
Rock

Defendant has between 50 and 99 Rep Points
Default Some heads up advice ?

Ive been doing reasonably well playing heads up, I loosen up a lot and attack the other player more or less relentlessly, but it seems like every time its not the better player but the luckier player who wins...

BTW also note thatI usually create a tight table image if at all possible until it gets to the shorthanded levels.

If anyone could help me out, that would be appreciated.

Defendant
Old 10-29-04, 08:27 PM
<<<<<

Penguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep PointsPenguinfan has between 500 and 749 Rep Points

The only advice I could possibly give is to watch for any variance in your opponents play, to me anyway this usually means he has a hand. I don't worry so much when he has the small blind and raises me time and time again, it's when he just checks that worries me, he's looking for action and I usuall will lay down even an above average hand since it seems one mistake heads up can make the difference. Thats just one example, but I think I would watch for ANY variance in your opponents play, FWIW.
Old 10-29-04, 09:36 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

extreme agression is definitely the way to go, but you also have to be able to lay down hands early on. dont try to win every pot. try to win big pots, and to lose only a little when the other guy wins. dont turn into a calling station.

it seems like t eway that you play heads up is about right. there is a lot of luck involved, but picking up on your opponents bets is very informative as well.
Old 10-30-04, 12:16 PM
Rock

johnbaker has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i like howard lederer's advice of raising every time you get the button (preflop), then betting out on every flop. It loosens up your opponent so when you get strong hands you can sucker them into calling with very weak ones.
Old 10-30-04, 12:44 PM
Maniac

Tuff Luck has less than 10 Rep Points

Yea, like someone said, agression is the way to go. I always play more agressive when it's head, but I can still fold the so-so hands when I need to.
Old 10-30-04, 01:17 PM
Calling Station

brokeagain has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

the more hands you play the more you will be on the losing end of some pretty gut wrenching beats. not necessarily bad beats, but ones that make you say "he called my check raise with that on the flop?" my suggestion is to make notes and focus on what is going on entirely. it is great to have a tight image full ring, but when it gets short you will be playing more hands and the hands and situations you call and raise in will determine your table respect. i see nothing 3 betting A7o on the button playing 5-6 handed, but how i play after the flop will make or break me when playing that hand. post flop play, IMO, is a helluva lot more valuable than pre flop play when playing short. in regards to the luckier player winning, sometimes you can play your hand face up with these guy and they still will call you down. look for loose passive players when playing short. i try to be the aggressor at the table, the one that nobody wants to phuck with.
Closed Thread