The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-05, 12:56 AM
Maniac

BDMK has between 10 and 49 Rep Points
Default Poker Study Resources?

what have you/would you/will use to help improve your game?

let me start with myself, and i'll divide it in some general categories...

-books: when i started to play almost a year ago, harrington on holdem (HOH) was barely out in print. i read then the almost obligatory super system, the original 1970s version, and took the advice within for what it's worth...then, luckily, i got my hands on HOH vol 1, and later on vol 2, and havent looked back. i also have perused, more for entertainment purposes than anything, mcmanus' acct of his participation in the 2000 main event (positively fifth street).

-poker sim software: IMHO sims can, and should, only be used at the very beginning, and not more than just help (hopefully) instill some basic good habits in a player-namely, patience, discipline, and self-control. i dont believe that such a complex, non-purely-technical, game as texas holdem can, as yet at least, be reproduced well by a software app. oh, and i used ddpoker, as opposed to the old favorite wilson turbo, and was pretty happy with it.

-DVDs/tapes: i havent used any, and am personally not inclined towards this study tool in general. of course, everyone should do what works best for them...

-other/misc: since tourney NLHE is my exclusive area of interest poker-wise, but i limit my involvement to buck buyins and entry-level sats to big events, i have made it my habit to regularly watch, frequently in their entirety, the highest-level buyin tourneys on stars (100/150/300 bux, as well as the weekly/monthly big one). i've found this to be a very useful, not to mention scot-free, educational resource. at least for me.

ok, thats it from me for now...how about the rest of you guys?

EDIT: alright, i hate that this got pushed way back by 1-2 post pumpers yesterday. i really would like to know what others around here find/found useful to improve their game...so pls guys, share.

Last edited by BDMK; 11-30-05 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 06:20 PM
Maniac

BDMK has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

bump!

for the reason stated above in the edit.
Old 11-30-05, 06:29 PM
Run Silent || Run Deep

BlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsBlibbityBlabbity has between 750 and 999 Rep Points

I would add PokerTracker to that list. I think once you start to get into what each of the stats mean and how they realate you your (and your opponents) games, it is hard to imagine not having it as a reference and a tool.

As far as books, I threw Hellmuth's book in the fireplace and got a good fire going before sitting down to read SuperSystem2 and I am currently reading the 1st Harrington book as well as Cappaletti's O8B book.

http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/blog.php?u=64

Last edited by BlibbityBlabbity; 11-30-05 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 06:29 PM
Shark

Akverno has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsAkverno has between 250 and 499 Rep PointsAkverno has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

The first book i read was browsing through hold em poker by sklansky a few years ago. After which, I purchased hold em poker for advanced players more for the statistical data then anything else. I've read both super systems, (especially the stud part), Mike Caro's book on tells is a good read. I used to play 1/2 dollar hold em in Florida. State law dictates that higher limits are illegal, because of this i read through low limit hold em techniques which was a waste of time. More then anything else I played countless hours of poker growing up which led to playing even more while in college in Florida. I read the introduction on Phil Helmuth's book, which I find him to be slightly condescending so I didn't buy it. I enjoy reading the books published by the pro's to see if parts of my game reflect theirs, and for strategy.

I've learned more from playing home games against the same people then anywhere else. After that much time together playing poker it became very easy to see where Caro's book on tells applied to my friends. Cheap home games in my opinion are the best way to work on aspects of your game for little money, plus in a "friendly" atmosphere your friends will alert you to tells that you've aquired, betting patterns, and other information that is critical when you enter into live tournaments. However, the input from friends needs to be from people you respect as poker players more then from someone who wins when they get lucky. One of my friends won an event at the festa al lago this year at the bellagio. He, and two of my other friends are the only ones I'd listen to when they critized how I played. And that would be my 2 cents.
Closed Thread