The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-05, 06:06 PM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points
Default Short handed LHE tables

I would like to get input from everyone on short handed vs. full tables in ring limit holdem tables. I seem to have more success at short handed. Not that I havent had any success at full tables I have. I have been able to build up a bankroll exclusively from free $ from sites, and playing at the micro limit tables. So absolutely I CAN play very tight in crazy full limit games and be profitable. I have now moved up to 1/2, with some success. I basically have to get rid of the really bad sessions. I will do pretty well, then have a terrible session and lose a bunch back. I'm still up at the 1/2 level, so no big deal, still adjusting.
Anyway, playing at Pacific, they dont have short handed tables. I spend so much time scoping out decent short handed tables, and then sitting down, only to have it go full about three hands later. Is anyone else in the same boat? What do you do? Do you get out if it goes full, or sit and grind it out? I cant bring myself to stay, and i dont think I should. The major problem I'm finding is that I cant get in that much time per day playing. 10 minutes here, 20 there is ok, but I have the time, desire, and monetary need, to play several hours a day. I am considering going over to Party ot play the short handed (6max) tables. I know they have lots of 1/2 short tables, but then the next limit is 5/10, and I wont be there for quite awhile. Anyone play these regularly, and if so, what advice would you give if I'm planning on playing these tables? Any other sites offer these tables that are pretty loose (I know most sites are loose, but moreso than others)
What overall strategies to you think fit short tables better than full tables?
I know there are a dozen or so questions in there, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Drewjax
p.s. see you all Sunday night!
Old 01-27-05, 07:01 PM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i think that on a site that doesnt have shorthanded hold em tables you have to change your strategy a little bit. instead of finding short games that might fill up, you have to find full games that might go short. most players at the full tables do not know how to make the adjustments to shorthanded situations, and in just a few hands you can slaughter them. if you know how to lay back and be patient for play at full tables, and then can change gears when it goes short then you have a big advatage.

if you only want to play at shorthanded tables, then probably move over to party. i know that pacific has 6 max tables at the higher limits, but i dont know about it for the lower limits.
Old 01-27-05, 07:47 PM
CELTICS BACK TO BACK BITCHES

drewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Pointsdrewjax has between 250 and 499 Rep Points

I do see that Pacific does have 6 max tables, starting at 5/10. Do you think its good to play in the full games, and then try to pounce when it goes short, or scope out full tables that are losing players? Also, why do you think that Party doesnt have 6 max tables at all levels? Just curious. Keep advice coming, please.
Old 01-28-05, 01:29 AM
Rock

nutbag has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

If you are looking to stay at 1/2, move to party. I've been there about two years and now pretty much play solely 1/2. Partly because I'm an action junkie, but also because it makes it much easier to isolate the idiots. When you have a read on a certain players style and position on them, you can make money with your eyes closed, especially agianst the overactive ones.

Six handed lends itself to the overactive type, due to the fact that it gives them a reason to play so many more hands. Play solid and just loosen up normal hand/calling requirements a small amount and it's much simpler and easier to make money than having to worry about all the suckouts at the full tables. If you come to party and you have any idea what your doing, you will win. But don't move up to 5/10 for any reason, trust me. Other sites have answered my post about 2/4 3/6 and pokerstars and UB seem to be decent for six handed games, so move to those if you want a higher limit. If you shift to party, be sure to post it here or let me know.

Last edited by nutbag; 01-28-05 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-28-05, 02:04 AM
Shark

eddo31 has between 10 and 49 Rep Points

i think that pouncing on the games that go short is the best way to go. the biggest advantage for you here is that you know how to play short, and the rest of the table will not likely be making the right changes. playing at a six max table, i would assume that most of the players have some sort of clue about short play. i am not saying that they will be any good, but they will have a better clue than the full tablers will.

the 5/10 games at party are swimming with sharks, from what i understand. there must be a bunch of fishes to keep everyone eating well, but it seems like a tough jump to make until you are really confident in your shorthanded game, and you need a pretty good sized bankroll to take the swings. plus, tp might take back all the money he has donated to the rest of the site from you.

the shorthanded game forum on 2+2 probably has the best shorthanded info out there. i would definitely take a look there to bone up on your shorthanded play.
Old 01-28-05, 11:23 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

I do love the shorthanded 5/10 games at Party. Killed them more than any other game/limit last year - by a lot. With that said, I've moved to full ring lately because I want to see if they can be just as or even more profitable. Hard to say so far, but there seems to be potential there - especially when you factor in the play at the BBJ tables. I got killed there last night (down like 30+ BBs in 100ish hands!) by ridiculous suckouts - AA, KK, QQ lose three in a row for me - but in the long run, the guys playing their 62s and 97s chasing that BBJ are going to pay me a fortune...

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker
Closed Thread